Colossal squid at Te Papa turns one year old

Pamela's one year old squid

Pamela's one year old squid

Hey squid fans

Time flies when you’re having fun! The colossal squid at Te Papa has turned one year old.

Now’s a good time to check out the squid you made on Build a Squid. http://squid.tepapa.govt.nz/build-a-squid

See how old you’ve got, how much you weigh (eek) and what you’ve been getting up to.

My squid is 368 days old, has travelled over 3,000 kilometres and weighs 154 kilograms. At the moment my squid has just escaped another colossal squid.

If you’ve got visitors over Christmas who haven’t seen the squid, check it out online and get them into Te Papa to see it in all its squiddy glory.

1. Jack

you have a awesome blog I love the squid :)

from jack :)

2. lorelei

I love te papa and now I can find out whats going on.

3. Maverynthia

I hope the exhibit sticks around. I enjoy checking on my interactive squid. He’s almost 600 days old!

4. LILY

MY SQUID IS THE BOMB ITS INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT HES BEEN UP TO THE NAUGHTY BRAT!

5. pamelalovis

Thanks Brian. I’m glad you like the colossal squid exhibit and it was great to hear that you check back on your squid every so often, to see what it’s been up to :-)

6. Brian Phipps

I really enjoy my Colossal Squid, which today is 372 days old, weighs 170kg and has traveled 3348 km. Once a week or so I take a relaxing minute to check out its latest adventures. It provides a very pleasant learning experience with a connection to the very deep world out there.

Congratulations on designing an informative and captivating exhibit.

7. pamelalovis

Thanks “Squid Lover” – there is still heaps we don’t know about colossal squid, and giant squid.

By the way, the ‘San Aspiring’ is back down in the Ross Sea, Antarctica – the home of the colossal squid – now that the new toothfishing season is underway. You can follow the Captain’s Blog here. It would be good to know if they have seen any sign of colossal squid so far.

8. Squid Lover

I think this is great for people who want to learn more about the giant squid. It is now my favorite animal and I like to read more about them. Also, to “sick of squid”, there is never enough of learning about a beautiful creature. We don’t even know that much and there is so much more to learn. Thanks.

9. cartons

Those giant squid are continuing to bite near the 9-Mile Bank. Seaforth Sportfishing is offering trips daily leaving at 4 p.m. on the New Seaforth. Squid are ranging from 20 to 50 pounds.

10. ghd

I wish you have a wonderful day!Thank you.

11. Anonymous

*rimshot*

Seriously, though, I really would like to see the squid as soon as I’ve saved enough money to go to NZ…

12. Roxan from Te Papa

The colossal squid has only been on display for a year and many people have not had a chance to see this magnificant creature from the deep. As we are a museum, we love things of all ages.
    With regards to other exhibitions, we have a new exhibition which just opened on the weekend ‘A Day in Pompeii’ and if you are worried about exhibitions being old, this one has artifacts that are nearly 2000 years old.

13. sick of squid

Am I the only person in New Zealand that thinks Te Papa has ‘milked’ this squid thing long enough? Please move on to promoting another exhibit…