Psst – Killer whales in Wellington harbour today (11 Dec)

There are Killer whales in Wellington harbour today. Last I heard they were below Khandallah heading for Petone, about 30 metres off-shore.

I asked Anton Van Helden, our Collection manager of Marine Mammals, about them. He said they are frequent visitors to Wellington Harbour as it was in their natural range.

He wasn’t sure what they were doing in the harbour, but thought it was an exciting opportunity for people to see them. He also advised being careful around them and remembering not to harrass them.

I’d love to see a photo of them if some one has taken any!

You might also want to check out Anton on Tales from Te Papa. He is talking about  the rare and mysterious Spade-toothed whale. A scientific detective story with a twist!
Beaked whales – Tales from Te Papa episode 6

1. ghd

I wish you have a wonderful day!Thank you.I wish you have a wonderful day!Thank you.I wish you have a wonderful day!Thank you.

2. ghd

I wish you have a wonderful day!I wish you have a wonderful day!Thank you.

3. ghd

I wish you have a wonderful day!Thank you.

4. lucyhoffman

This is fantastic thanks – I’d love to see photos – lucyh @tepapa.govt.nz is my email (Remember to take the space out).

It also got us here remebering the Ingrid Visser video that is in our Whales Tohorā exhibition.

Orcas attacking a seal – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyfOp_keW0A

5. Jochen

Hi,
    i’m writing from Kiel(GER). My daughter traevels as a backbacker in nz these days. They have seen six orcas in Wellington harbour on December 11. at about 3 p.m.
    She wrote the orcas where chasing a ray, but I cannot give you the exact position, but I may find out.
    I’ve got two fotos (only fins visible), if you give me an e-mail adress i will send them to you.
    Regards
    Jochen

6. Colin Booth

I have a video, taken on my cellphone, of one of the orca coming in close to Petone Beach, then swimming along the beach before taking off at an incredible speed. There were a lot of people with better video and still cameras.